UNC Asheville is building on its strong liberal arts foundation by renovating academic buildings, expanding spaces for the student experience and community engagement, and constructing apartment-style housing. Together these projects impact the heart of campus, creating state-of-the-art facilities to better serve students, welcome visitors, provide a home away from home, and enhance the learning environment.
Construction Update: May 10, 2019
On Monday, May 13, 2019 the contractor for the Owen/Carmichael renovation will begin the construction phase.
- The public entrance to Belk Theater will remain open and accessible.
- The sidewalk in front of Carmichael Hall (Reynolds Green side) will remain open.
- The sidewalk behind Carmichael Hall (Mullen & James Humanity Hall side) will be closed until Fall 2020 semester.
- The three stairways leading from Edgewood Rd/University Heights to Parking lot P27 will be closed until Fall 2020 semester.
- The northern half of Parking lot P27 will remain open and available for parking, while the southern half will be part of the construction site, not available for parking until Fall 2020 semester.
- The sidewalk north of Owen Hall, adjacent to University Heights, will remain open.
- The fence will remain in place until the Fall 2020 semester.
University Heights - One-way Road Section Change
In order to facilitate the work for the Reed Plaza construction project, all traffic entering campus on University Heights from the traffic circle on W.T. Weaver will be directed to the right at the Y intersection at the top of the hill starting Dec. 2018. Vehicles will make a left turn at the intersection of University Heights and Edgewood Road to access campus.
Traffic will remain two-way on University Heights until vehicles reach the speed table at Highsmith Student Union. Traffic from the speed table at Highsmith Student Union to the Y intersection beyond Zeis Hall will become one-way to allow for construction in Reed Plaza. The parking spaces across from Highsmith Student Union in P19 will be temporarily removed during construction to allow a lane to be established. The majority of the existing travel lane will be fenced in and become part of the construction site. The construction fencing will start at the speed table at Highsmith Student Union and extend to the intersection beyond Zeis Hall.
Parking lots P25 and P26 across from Zeis Hall will still be available and accessible by traveling counterclockwise on University Heights through the temporarily established one-way traffic zone.
Campus community members are encouraged to use the Campus Drive entrance to campus during construction.
Reed Plaza will be under construction until late Spring 2019, and this temporary traffic pattern will be in place until construction is complete.
Please see the map below for the rerouted traffic pattern.
Shuttle service to parking lots P29 and P31 will be available using the Red Shuttle Route, which services the Health & Counseling Center every 12 minutes from 7:51 a.m.-5:15 p.m. and every 20 minutes between 5:43 p.m. and 9:23 p.m.
Campus Map & Transportation Information
Visit maps.unca.edu for the campus map.
Visit transportation.unca.edu for shuttle routes.
Please contact us with questions at email@example.com.